Snoel Abroad

Sara is abroad again and this time it is in Hungary! I am here in Hungary (in the small town of Gyöngyös) teaching English at a primary school through CETP- the Central European Teaching Program- Follow along with my crazy adventures in teaching and traveling. Szia!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving in Gyöngyös

Well the actual Thanksgiving festivities will be taking place in Tiszavasvári this year but today I had a bit of a preview when I taught my students about the holiday. We talked about what Americans do on Thanksgiving- eat, see their family and friends, watch football and eat more. We talked about the different foods that we eat and had a very brief discussion about why we have Thanksgiving (complete with Sara's blackboard art of Pilgrims and Indians fighting and then not fighting and then sharing food) The highlight of the lesson was having my students take part in the activity that every American school child has done for Thanksgiving for years and years- we traced our hands on paper and made turkeys! All went very well and we were even able to learn and practise a new word "share" as in "the Indians share their food with the Pilgrims, you must share the scissors and glue sticks with your classmates." I did not, however, manage to convince them that pumpkin pie is good (I think the problem lies in years of being told that a pie is just like a cake) nor did I manage to quite get across what exactly cranberries or cranberry sauce are. I did, however, successfully convince them all that a holiday where you get two days off of school to eat and watch football is a fantastic idea.


3 comments:

Ameripean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ameripean said...

You are such a creative teacher! I'm stealing this idea;) Btw, just thought I'd mention, I think I only did the turkey hands one year in all the 12 years I was in school.

jeremy said...

you're little people are adorable!!