Snoel Abroad

Sara is abroad again and this time it is in Hungary! I am here in Hungary (in the small town of Gyöngyös) teaching English at a primary school through CETP- the Central European Teaching Program- Follow along with my crazy adventures in teaching and traveling. Szia!

Friday, January 19, 2007

Name Days

Name days are a big deal in Hungary. Every calender you see in Hungary has at least one and sometimes 2 or 3 names written on each day. Name days are celebrated like birthdays, there are presents and parties and wishes of "boldog neve napot!" (happy name day!)Most Americans don't have name days because their names are not common in Hungary- Hungarians don't have this problem because parents are required to name their children a name from The Official List of names. The List is added to each year to keep with trends (but slowly) but as names are added to the list they are given a day as well. Today is apparently my name day- who knew?

I didn't but was surprised to find out when I was greeted this morning by one of the school secretaries. She came up to me, giggling nervously, with one of the other English teachers whispering in her ear the English words "Happy Name Day!" I was then engulfed in kisses and good wishes.

Unfortunatly the rest of the day was not so pleasing as I had to stay at school about4 hours later then usual for staff meetings because today is the last day of the first semester and we had to finalize and turn in grades as well as have the notorious "group grade vote" a process that still baffles me but as I can now recognize my students' names and the numbers 1-5 I can actively take part in the process and give my input so that the jack-ass kids get their deserved low mark even if they are angels for other teachers.

No comments: